Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Broke the code

I did figure it out - that Weight Watchers thing. The points are a simple way of controlling your eating behavior. Problem is, for Americans it goes against our grain to imagine that if the number is smaller it is a good thing. Like golf, I guess. The lower the score the better you are. Why couldn't that apply to bowling, in which case I'd be a candidate for Olympic golfing?

Anyway, the points measure the taste of a food. Foods that are universally recognized as tasting good, like you find in restaurants, have high point values. Foods that are healthy (therefore DON'T taste good) have low point values. Foods that NOBODY would recognize as satisfying OR tasting good have zero points. For example, who would sit down with a nice chunk of cauliflower to munch on instead of a couple of slices of the cold pizza in the fridge from the night before? Only someone doing the WeightWatchers thing. (I actually did that, and actually had that choice to make...)

Makes me long for the days when I enjoyed the fine taste of a good fat-free cigarette. Do they have points?

2 comments:

justjuls said...

Ah yes! Recently I entertained the idea momentarily that if I smoked I could lose a great deal of weight. The problem is that it doesn't restrain any of the fleshly indulgence - it just trades one idol for another. And besides as much as I like eating, breathing seems to be a bit higher priority.

Kirsten said...

You know, I'm proud of you Poppa. It's hard to live in America and not eat the pizza in the fridge. You could try Steve's and my diet - live in a country where the food isn't appetizing. You lose a lot that way.