Saturday, February 7, 2009

Bee uuutiful

So today it is the big break from the cold weather. Sunny, warm, and a good day to check in on the bees. I knew from a quick survey a week ago that I still had 7 of my 7 colonies alive. A very happy result...

I prepared last night for this visit by making bee candy to feed them. It is really a formula for rock candy, made with molten sugar, with the addition of a protein product called "MegaBee". This product was invented by a scientist in Tucson, AZ. I think it is illegal for bees involved in professional sports to take MegaBee.

Anyway, you pour the molten mixture into molds (best done on the garage floor in case there is spillage)and let it set overnight. The result is a brownish bar of strange smelling candy. I like to taste it. As a matter of fact we had a visitor who wanted to see it, I let him try it....don't think he was as impressed as me and the bees.

So today I suited up in the hot part of the afternoon and opened the hives up. Very nice - inside each hive was a reasonably large colony of bees who were - well - busy as bees. I took a quick peak to assess their population and put a chunk of candy inside each of them.

Now my the bees are guaranteed not to starve. There is a threat of that as they are beginning to raise a new generation of brood at this time, they've eaten most of their winter food supply, and during the warm days they fly out to poop. While they are flying they forage for food, and, of course, they don't find anything...nothing is flowering yet.. (although I did spot a few coming in with pollen on their legs...probably left over from last year). This is the time for starving colonies. Mine will find the delicious sugar candy and MegaBee...the protein will be good for the brood and in amoth or so I should start to see some realy nice, large colonies...boiling with bees.

No comments: