Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Can I drive?

I painfully agree to go on the "double" go cart with my 10 year old grand daughter, and worse - I agree to let he drive. After getting her assurance that she wouldn't kill me I then recognized the next difficulty - the passenger seat is not intended for adult men - so I squeeze behind the placebo steering wheel and reach to put on the shoulder belt (realizing more than ever how important it is), finding that it won't close around me due to it's years of use for little kids in the salt air.

I sigh as we prepare to take off.

There is some relief (for my safety) as we take off and she has both feet firmly planted on the gas AND the brake. I tell her (yelling in a coach-like manner) "take your foot off that pedal" and she took it off the gas, stopping us as everyone passes us. Again, in a "coachlike" way I grab the wheel, twisting it toward the inside lane, cutting off someone who has lapped us twice already, instructing her in a not-so-gentle-panic to press the gas as hard as she can and not let up we steer on the inside track and finish second.

Second to the last.

She loved it.

No comments: