Sunday, July 19, 2009

Someone moved my cheese

This new situation has some twists and turns that are interesting to say the least. The new situation is the heavy kid population that has taken over our estate.

Example is this afternoon.

Kate takes the girls and I take the boys. Fair, it seems. The girls go off shopping and the boys go swimming in the backyard. Divide and conquer.

I've been a dad for a very long time, but this deal is new every morning. When I get the boys, that means I have 5 boys from age 5 to 12, all of them rivals...as it should be.

Kate takes the girls - fair again - that is an 11 year old, a 15 year old, and a 16 year old. Whole different dynamic.

"As it should be" with boys is different than "as it should be" with girls. The idea that "boys will be boys" was put forth by someone long ago who simply gave in to the reality.

I had a domain for years I was in total control of...the yard, the fringes of the outside...my domain with no interference from short people with no sense. Now - it's like trying to hold a handful of water - they dig up, take apart, break, climb, or otherwise move everything they encounter. Every living creature is subject to capture, large or small, crawling or flying. There are no borders between garden, lawn, and woods. All trees are climbing devices. All rocks are in the wrong place and must be moved, usually to where I mow. Sand does not belong in the sandbox. Whew.

And I wouldn't trade it for all the nice grass in China.

1 comment:

Kate said...

You give up so gracefully.