Thursday, April 28, 2011

Don't mix up the round stuff and the square stuff

I have many children, and as a result, see many solutions to common problems. If, for example, you asked a random child to clean out the refrigerator, you should expect random choices as to how the stuff get's rearranged back into the clean fridge. The scheme I find most entertaining is putting things back in by SHAPE.

Yes. SHAPE.

For example, square stuff in one place, large round stuff in another, etc. We recently had our spice cabinet done this way. It's great if you know what shape whatever you are looking for is.

This seems innocent enough. The trouble is, those people grow up, and I think they get jobs arranging goods in a grocery store. For example, when sent to a store to get "Hawaiian Punch", I head for the aisle marked "Juice". Nope (confirming what we all suspected). How about "Drinks". Nope, that's for what I would label "Soda". Not with "Water and Flavored drinks".

Its with "Snacks". Oh.

How about "White VInegar"? With "Baking goods?" Nope, even though all of the vegetable oil is there. Near the aisle with Olive Oil? Nope (that was with the "International Foods)?!. The Vinegar was on an aisle with canned goods. But it comes in a bottle...

It is so random it CAN'T be an accident. I think it is an effort to sort the experienced grocery-getters from the occasional errand runners like myself. We are easy to spot; staring in wonder at the signs, looking lost, mouth hanging open, looking in the same aisle 4 times hoping it'll be different than it was the last 3 times I looked.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Thanks for shopping for me anyway.