Thursday, January 3, 2008

Don't try to paper over the crime...

One of the very complex parts of our very complex household is the toilet paper. We have 6 bathrooms, some used more than others. One of the most aggravating things I can imagine is sitting down for the obvious purposes, getting comfortable and awaiting the impending relief when - voila! - there is no paper on the roll. ERRRRGGHH!

Like so much in our household, the act of taking the last square without replacing the roll is a crime never admitted - usually committed by our most frequent actor; a child named "Not Me".
Recently, there has been a small amount of progress. I noticed a clandestine effort to make sure they NEVER take the LAST square. You know the trick don't you? They leave the last bit of paper that goes around the cardboard - so little you can actually see the color of the cardboard under the paper; and, of course, you cannot use that amount to wipe more than a drop of water. With that little trick they can legitimately claim "I didn't take the last paper!" There, they got me. ERRRRGGHH!

My dad always knew the value of toilet paper - what brand was on sale and how much the cost-per-sheet was to determine the best buy. I haven't had that luxury - the value I preach is more fundamental - make sure there is SOME on the roll!

If we ever get this down maybe we can move to the next level of toilet paper sophistication - putting the roll on so the end comes over the top versus hanging from the bottom. That's one of my wife's issues. Wonder if I'll ever get there!?!?

How in the world did my dad ever get all the way to determiing the best buy...?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have a child named "Not me" too? Wow what a coincidence. Not me was here last week and put what looked to be an entire roll of toilet paper in the toilet. And probably didn't replace the roll either.