Monday, July 7, 2008

You can be the special one

I am blessed to be a grandfather. It's "grand" in the sense of "big" (which is age-driven, physical and status). The status part of the "big" means I've been a father for a very long time and that I am this for a pretty "grand" (large) group.

I have grandchildren by a couple of different paths. I have 7 and one on the way the old fashioned way. I have 7 others and one additional one on the way through other means. In all cases, these kids call me "Poppa", slip occasionally and call me "grandpop", "poppy", "pops", and other such traditional titles. Whatever it is, the title is their recognition of what I am in their life, a privileged insider to them who fits a special seat. For them, they get to climb on me, to look under my mustache, to puzzle over why I have no hair on top but do have hair on my face, to ask about when their mom was my little girl...

I remember the special place my grandfather had in my life. He held the keys to a lot of mystery. One of them, the one who I remember only as as a very young boy, was a "tickler". All I really have left of memories of him is a good feeling, a special affection that I have when I think of him. My other one, who was alive into my adulthood, was someone who I always counted on to validate what I did - if he approved it must be right. He tickled also.

It is a special honor indeed. They are spread from Africa to South Dakota, and when I get to see each of them, some once a week and others once every couple of years, I am reminded of the importance of this job. I see their smile, hear their laugh, tickle them, and let each of them know how they can be the special one.

1 comment:

justjuls said...

They are so lucky to have you.
Are you a tickler?