Friday, January 2, 2009

No workee no playee

My boys were looking for some work. Actually, they were looking for some money. They are new here and didn't thoroughly understand the connection between work and money. At first they balked at the idea that I wold make them work. Then they saw a benefit. At the end of the week they got MONEY. And, they could SPEND it. Ah, a seed for the American Dream.

They asked me if there was a way for them to make some more money. They wanted to buy games for the new game systems they got for Christmas. I said "oooo - my lucky day!". The other kids had smart alek looks on their faces - knowing what was coming.

"How much do you want?

"20 bucks"

"OK, I'll look for a $20 job".

I knew what I wanted. As luck would have it, the trenching that was done for the new geothermal heating system left a lot of rocks around the place. I don't mean a few - I mean a LOT. There are good rocks, like really big ones, and thousands of round-ish river rocks from the size of golf balls to basket balls. I staked off 2 areas, outlined them with string, and called the boys out. I told them "When each of these 2 areas are completely cleaned of rocks, you get $20 dollars."

"How long do we get?"

"All the time you want"

"Really?"

"Yep."

"When do we get the money?"

"When you are done."

"oh"

It took them 2 days. They did a magnificant job. I gave them a 10% bonus for good work. They asked Kate to get on Amazon and find the games they wanted.

Hurray for the 2 young Americans.

Oh. That's 2. I have 3 boys.

The youngest came up to me and told me he wanted some money.

I said "Well, here's what I want you to do", and showed him some rocks to move.

"I don't want to do that."

"OK, then you don't get any money".

"OK"

Two out of three isn't bad, and he's got a little more time to get the connection.

No comments: