Sunday, February 17, 2008

Say What?

My 3 year old is pretty handicapped with autism and some other problems. He came to us as a foster child and has progressed to have some communication from his previous position of no communication. That's the good news.

The bad news is that what a 3 year old has to say isn't usually something you want to hear. Now that he has learned he can have some control over his environment, especially over those big people who order him around, he has been working us over like a normal, healthy 3 year old. He continually reminds us that the "terrible 2's" are actually a prelude to 3. (Which hibernates and reemerges as 14).

He knows he isn't allowed to throw toys. So, he does, and he gives a defiant look that says "whatareyougoingtodoabotuthat?" He goes to the time-out, where he very clearly signs "all done" and "I want to get down".

I guess we can be thankful. And watchful....

1 comment:

justjuls said...

Ha ha ha -
You gotta love the mental picture of a 3 year old who has a standoff with the man whose voice can make other grown men pee their pants it commands such authority.
I swear - I would never throw anything you told me not to.
Bwaahahaha!