Saturday, May 7, 2011

For the birds?

I have a bird feeding station just outside my office window. I have regular visitors, who, when I fail to refill according to their needs, sit on the feeders staring pitifully at me. Or so it seems.

There is a pair of cardinals, male and female, who are regulars. The female sits in a tree a few yards from the feeders while the male collects seed and delivers it to her in the tree. There has been a small black bird visiting recently who sits on the feeder staring at the window. Every now and then he darts to the window, crashes into it, and then goes back to the feeder to stare some more. I assume he is picking bugs off the house, which taste good enough to tolerate the headache from crashing.

When we are told that God's care for birds is an example of what we can expect from him for ourselves, it deserves some real detailed thinking. To observe the cardinals, and how He has provided the food through my desire to see them, the loving care of a mate for each, and the protection of the male bringing her breakfaat-in-the-tree, I can see He gives them much more than simply available food. God cares enough for the birds to have provided a whole chain of capability to make sure these little wonders do more than just survive, He provides so that they flourish.

How much more must He do for me?

No comments: