Sunday, November 23, 2008

Pecking for dinner

I am sitting in a seat that overlooks our bird feeders. I have an assortment of feeders, designed to provide a variety of feeding methods and food. Its fun watching the birds arrive, as though they are waiting in the nearby trees for me to put out the food.

We have pretty regular visits from a couple of woodpecker varieties along with finches, wrens, and chickadees. Cardinals show up along with blue jays.

The woodpeckers own the suet. Sometimes a chickadee will have the audacity to peck away at it, but when the downy woodpecker show up, he jsut has to fly near the hanging package for the chickadee to move off.

It's hard to imagine life out there, 18 degrees at night. They don't have to worry about the market, the heat bill, or even the next grocery day. All they have to do is hope I see the feeder is getting low. And even if I do, somehow they find other sustinence until the next time I refill. Pretty amazing. A good thing to notice for this week of thanksgiving.

No comments: